Written by amy on 25 Oct, in featured
It’s been almost a year since I had the opportunity to help with a wedding that forever changed my life and my business and since in the process of switching to the new website I need to migrate the info from my blog, I knew that I wanted to revisit Brett and Laura’s wedding and use it as a Featured Wedding on my site.
Last year I was lucky enough to work on a celebration of pure love, powered by an outpouring of support from the San Diego wedding community, which created a very whirlwind week, where we planned a wedding in six days.
You see, we were a part of planning a wedding for an incredibly brave young couple. Brett Fafard and his fiancée of three days, Laura Kemp, have been together for two years, spending much of their time together battling Brett’s cancer. Prior to his diagnosis, Brett was an avid biker, runner, and all around athlete. When he was diagnosed in June 2009, the cancer had already spread to his abdomen, liver, lungs, and neck. Brett has fought the cancer through many rounds of chemo, surgeries, bone marrow transplants, and radiation; however the aggressive disease has continued to spread to his lungs and brain. Doctors estimated he had two months to live.
Laura was a tremendous support, and after many months of contemplating marriage, and one very close call when Brett suffered a grand mal seizure from his brain tumors, it became clear to the couple that they had to marry.
As soon as I heard the story, I knew that the San Diego wedding community would come together to help. And they did. With one mass email and Facebook post about the story, 22 AMAZING San Diego wedding vendors came together to throw Laura and Brett a wedding.
The wedding happened November 12, 2011 as the sun set at Silver Strand State Beach in Coronado.
MANY, MANY thanks to the wedding vendors who came together so quickly and donated their services and talent to help this couple have a very special and memorable wedding.
Photos by Kristina Chartier Photography.
- Wedding Planner: First Comes Love
- Ceremony Music: Anthony Garcia, Reception Music: Beck’s Entertainment
- Caterers: San Diego Desserts, Abbey Catering, Dining Details, Jaramillo Catering
- Cake/Cupcakes: San Diego Desserts, Cupcakes Squared
- Florist: Adorations Botanical Artistry
- Dress: David’s Bridal, Hair/Make-up: The Standard Salon
- Photography: Kristina Chartier Photography, Carrie Butler Photography
- Videography: Bob Hoffman Video Productions
- Photo Booth: Party Booths
- Stationary: Pink Star Design
- Transportation: The Abbey Catering
- Reception Site: Jamaica Village Clubhouse Coronado Cays
- Rentals/Linens: Concepts Event Design, Continental Catering, Enticing Tables
- Lounge Furniture: Plush Lounge Furniture
- Bridal Accommodations: La Valencia, Family Accommodations: Embassy Suites La Jolla